Origin of St Stephens Club before the website closed:
The Club was founded in 1870 under the patronage of Benjamin Disraeli, later Earl of Beaconsfield, as a convenient meeting place for Conservative Members of Parliament close to the House.
The Club remained in its original premises, overlooking the Thames opposite the Palace of Westminster, and linked to it by an underground passageway, until they were acquired by the Government in 1960 to facilitate plans to expand the Palace of Westminster.
The original building still stands substantially unaltered, and provides overflow offices for Members of Parliament. In 1914 the Members of The Whitehall Club, mostly professional Engineers and related disciplines, joined St. Stephen’s Club, and this balanced fusion of professional and political interests is still reflected today.
Following the sale of the original Club premises to the Government in 1960, the present smaller elegant Club House in Queen Anne’s Gate, previously the town residence of Lord Glenconner and later of Sir Harrison Hughes, Bt. was purchased. On completion of conversion works it was formally opened by Mr. Harold MacMillan, then Prime Minister, on 12th December 1962. The St. Stephen’s Club was joined in 1979 by The Constitutional Club to form the present Club.
Information about what this site used to be before it closed its doors:
St Stephen’s Club was one of London’s most authentic private clubs. Situated in a listed Victorian town house at Queen Anne’s Gate, and with roots stretching back 130 years, this is a place that has always attracted the great and the good – from Harold Macmillan to Margaret Thatcher.
St Stephen’s was both a social hub and a cosy retreat in the heart of Westminster, treating all guests with discretion, warmth and efficiency. Members span all ages and walks of life. What unites them is a shared love of the good things in life.
From the discreet nameplate on the door, through to the elegant reception and dining areas, the club exudes integrity. Its central location makes this the perfect setting, whether for an intimate business meeting or a large-scale celebration.
Functions & Weddings
St Stephen’s Club used to host private and corporate dinners, parties, receptions, barbecues, dances, concerts, as well as offering a conference centre with meeting rooms. An elegant listed building overlooking St James’s Park with its own secluded private garden, the club provides superb food and excellent service in a relaxed atmosphere.
In effect a private town house and garden, the Club is ideally suited to offer itself as host to a reception, dinner, cocktail party, discothèque and dancing. In 2002 the Club was host to more than 30 wedding receptions; tastings are held to assist menu and wine selection and all aspects of a wedding reception, flowers, music, late license etc. can be accommodated.
Free parking is available after 6.30pm; St. James’s Park underground is a one minute walk and the main line stations of Victoria and Charing Cross are both 10 minutes walk.
St. Stephen’s is open 10:00am – 23:00pm 5 days a week as a private members’ club. In the evening, it is host to many types of functions from dinners of up to 100 to receptions for 250. The food is of the highest standard and much praised. Late licenses are available.